Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Recommendations

Since I last filled you in on the grad school application idea, I have applied to the general graduate college! That means all that is left to do is finish my portfolio, get in several more recommendation letters, assemble all of my stuff for the application, and apply to my specific degree program! Not too bad, except for the portfolio part, which is just exhausting, but I will power through it soon.

On the note of recommendation letters, I have had amazing results! All of my professors and my boss have been very understanding and eager to write me letters for applications and scholarships! I have already recieved four, and have recieved confirmation on at least 5 more.  The key, I would say, to getting a recommendation letter is to ask for one. Simple as that.  What is the worst that could happen? They say no.  End of story - you move on and find someone willing to write one!
I would caution you, however, to NOT do what I have done: make a last minute decision to apply to a whole lot of things that all require letters, then send out emails asking each person you know to write at least two (this is not fair for them as I would imagine recommendation letters could take some time to write). In the case of one amazing professor of mine, I asked her to write THREE and she has already turned them all in to me!

On another note, I have discovered another scholarship I am eligable for, and will begin the process of applying for that immediately.  Well, I will start collecting things for it, but I will have to wait until I apply to my degree's grad program before I can actually mail out the application.

I'm not sure that there is anything else to update you on, so I will sign off now after a few final random thoughts!

- Glee needs to produce a love songs CD based on their Valentine's Day episode! L-O-V-E and Stereo Hearts were my favorite!  Also, on the subject of Glee, I knew Darren would be out for a few episodes, due to his Broadway gig, but I did not expect him back on this episode! My heart almost exploded! Plus, YAY FOR SAMUEL FINALLY BEING ON GLEE!!

- I had to switch dinner nights with my roommate, so I am making chicken and chicken rice (one of those rice sides you get at the grocery store - my absolute favorite!)

- Today at the gym, I ran a mile in 11 minutes and 20 seconds! A new record for me.  I thought that was going to give me a leg up on our first fitness test, but I found out shortly after running (walking/running) said mile that the test will be push-ups (can't do those), pull-ups (can't do those), sit-ups (those either), and walking.  WALKING. I asked our teacher, "What if I can't do push-ups?" In my head, I was thinking, "Or any other part of what you just said, besides walking..." He told me that it would be okay, zero would just be my benchmark to beat on the next fitness test.  Great.  I have to get physically fit enough to do push-ups.  That could take a LONG time. 

- I decided today that all of Shakespeare's plays should be made into ballets. The thought occured to me that several might have already been done, but I threw that thought out the window and decided I was original and brilliant.  Could you imagine Hamlet, the ballet? Or A MidSummer Night's Dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment